Thursday, 31 May 2012

Flat Tyres, Leaky Boilers And A TV Show

This week ... the bad ...

My silver blue Peugeot felled itself with a flat tyre. It happened last Saturday morning as I was driving back from an appointment with a regular client. The steering lost its power and I could feel every abrasive bump and lump of chewing gum on the tarmac. Although it happened on Talgarth Road, one of London's "quieter, urbane" routes, I managed somehow to will my limping vehicle onto a back street behind Barons Court Tube. Fortunately as it was a Saturday the parking was free and double fortunately Younger Dad had returned from an over seas trip so he was available to rescue my sorry car. We forgot to renew the RAC membership last Summer so I'm not quite sure what I would have done if it'd just been me and Little A. H, my best buddy, assured me that you can call out the RAC regardless. That's good to know.

Our ancient boiler sprang a watering can of leaks which flooded boxes, gym clothes and a pair of boxing mitts. Water is currently dripping into several plastic containers. Our usual plumber ironically named Mr Nice won't touch it and protested at the meniality of the job by gruffly putting the phone down on Younger Dad. We are now on a hunt for another plumber before we escape London for the Jubliee weekend. Younger Dad is convinced its a broken seal that's causing the waterworks but its looking like we may need to buy a new boiler. This is not good. We are currently preparing the anti tardis, our cramped London Flat, for sale and could do with out this extra enormous cost.



But here's ... the good ...

Last week we started toilet training. Little A now mostly bypasses her potty in favour of climbing onto her step stool and clambering like a mountaineer onto her toddler toilet seat. As to be expected we've had puddles on the carpet. But thanks to a heap of reward stickers she's getting the hang of it.  I've decided upon a laid back approach of daily training sessions with the intent of building her time on the potty and toilet gradually.

Potty Training - An up hill climb

The sun shone gloriously on West London. After nap time Little A and I took afternoon strolls around the block picking dandelion clocks and buttercups. One late afternoon we also bought a Cornetto. Little A and I sat on a shady grass verge and quietly shared the ice cream. It was a sublime moment.

Work has begun on the entrance and porch area of our flat. The pathing has been retiled, a new gate attached, the exterior painted, new frosted glass panels fitted and a new front door, which I want painted in teal, will arrive next week. This is all part or our mission to get the flat on the market. We had hoped this would happen this Spring but life happens and now we are aiming for the Autumn.

One of my favourite bloggers announced in a lovely post that she's pregnant again. I was over joyed by her news as I know from her blog that this is something she's wanted for a while. Happy tears welled in my eyes when I read her story. I was really moved. Its wonderful to hear about the good fortune of others.

On Tuesday I was a contributor on a short pilot for a chat show. This is the first time I've ever been on televised camera. As you can imagine I was very nervous. The topic under discussion was older mothers which is something I know a little about and the reason why the production team contacted me. The actress Natalie Cassidy (Sonia from East Enders) hosted the show and I was pitted against journalist Carole Malone to argue the case for older mums. If the pilot is commissioned I will be invited back to film an hour long show which will be broadcast on Channel 5. If you're interested, Today Was A Different Day tells the full tale of my adventures on screen.

On balance the flat tyre and leaky boiler have been eclipsed by all the great things that have happened this week. A lot to be grateful for and plenty of reasons to be cheerful. I'm linking up with the lovely Michelle from Mummy From The Heart where you'll find other uplifting posts.




Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart



16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the car & the boiler, these are the sort of things that happen to me all at once. Potty training, I am taking it slowly too, she hates the potty so we'll be trying the seat & step too, how old is your daughter??
    Great news about the chat show, fingers crossed it all comes about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MLM! Its annoying isnt it? Its a house of cards - one thing goes followed by everything else. My little one is just over two and a quarter. Yes, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Oh, you bought a tear to my eye with your lovely comment - thank you. x
    Apart from the leaking boiler (why is it SUCH a hassle to fix those) it sounds like you had a great week - the TV pilot is so exciting! I love Little A's co-ordinated pink potty training kit. Very sweet. Is good that she is bypassing the potty. Pip is so attached to his frog potty he won't let me put it away. If I try and hide it, I find it's been rescued out of hiding. He will use a loo out of the home, but at home, he wants Mr Frog, who also seems to be very popular with other young visitors too who normally use the loo. That's the problem of buying a novelty potty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are your hormones haywire at the moment per chance :o) ? We've finally found a plummer whos coming around this afternoon. I'm sure he'll grow out of Mr Frog like he's hopefully growing out of your bed. I'm sure he wont be using it by the time he's seven!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about those things. Sounds like you had a great week though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on balance it was very good in the end!

      Delete
  4. It's the rollercoaster of hell that moving house malarchy - such highs and lows! Best of luck with it all andyes, fab news re the pregnancy of your lovely friend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like moving house. Its one of my all time bug bears. We will get there in the end!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about the bad things but glad the good things made up for it. I love the co-ordinating pink toddler seat too, very pretty. I have yet to read the post about the TV show, but have it in the inbox to get around to! So glad it went well for you - wouldn't it be great if the pilot is commissioned!! Polly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they did! And yes it did go well ... it would be great if it was commissioned - that would be another great adventure.

      Delete
  6. What adventures at least it wasn't boring! great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. It was a mixed bag that's for sure!

      Delete
  7. The good surely out weigh the bad. Fingers crossed the programme goes through. Here's to older mums! Have a great week :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. My toes are crossed too. I'll drink to that :o).

      Delete
  8. I am so glad that the week of good out weighed the bad! Am LOVING the matching hot pink potty and toilet seat - A blue Mickey Mouse one was the choice of J2 - really doesn't go in the bathroom but hey what can ya do! I am so super excited about the TV pilot for you - fingers crossed! And btw I would NEVER give the rude plumber who put the phone down on Younger Dad again! How 'WUDE' as Jar Jar Binks would say! Only TWO weeks til BML!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a good week in the end! Not holding my breath but it would be great if it got commissioned. Yes, I know, I am getting rather excited! See you very soon! X

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...