Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Legs Eleven - Part 2

At the beginning of the year I was tagged by Making It As Mum and Mummy Plum in the eleven questions meme. This formidable meme sent bloggers everywhere running for cover including myself. I procrastinated. I stalled. My legs shook in their dated Uggs. Finally five months later I mustered the chutzpah necessary to face the task at hand. You can read the first instalment and meme rules here.

In this, the second part, I've done my utmost to answer the wonderful Mummy Plum's questions with colour, flair and a dash of cinnamon.


1. Which song gets you in the mood to party.

I think this has to be Once In a Lifetime by Talking Heads. Love the music. Love the lyrics. Its become something of a morning ritual for Little A and I to shake our booty to David Byrne and Co.

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?




2. What's your favourite dish to cook for friends and family.

Strawberry crumble. Its my signature dish. You may not know this but hot strawberries taste otherworldly. They're utterly divine. I guarantee your taste buds will back flip in delight. My crumble has silenced many a dinner exchange. And its perfectly complimented with custard or a generous scoop of Green and Black's vanilla ice cream. I often add oats and ground almonds to the crumble mixture for a more textured, sweeter taste. Nigella ... read and learn.


3. Which of the books you've read recently would you recommend as 'good reads'.

To be honest I can't say I've read anything currently that would be considered a good read. Over the last couple of years I've mainly had my head buried in parenting books. Of those I can highly recommend What Every Parent Needs To Know by Margot Sunderland and Why Love Matters - How Affection Shapes a Baby by Sue Gerhardt. Recently I've been immersing myself in fiction again, and have to admit to reading the Twilight series, yes, at 41 years of age. Its not particularly well written but its still a great yarn. It takes me back to the yearnings, obsessions and hidden desires of my late teenage years. This can only mean one thing; the beginnings of  a mid life crisis ...


4. What's your must have beauty product.

Well actually I have two. 

Firstly there is this ....

Vaseline Lip Therapy


Its cheap but does what it says on the tin. It keeps my lips moisturised and plumped come wind, rain or shine.

Secondly there is this ....

Bobbi Brown Extra Eye Repair Cream


Not so cheap but a real treat and probably the best cream I've lavished the delicate skin around my eyes with. No puffiness. No grease. Just deeply moisturising and rejuvenating. Honestly, its worth every penny and one pot will last around five months.


5. Do you have a favourite mantra/proverb/saying.

No not really but being the domestic hub for the persistent demands of an ego centric two year old I find myself frequently repeating the word calm, caLM, CALM.


6. What is the most romantic thing you've ever done.

I wouldn't ordinarily class myself as a romantic. I'm more of a nuts and bolts girl at heart. But one year I made Younger Dad a special gift for Valentines Day. I bought an A2 black spiral bound album and transformed it into a little book of love for him. In silver pen I told the story of our first encounter, our first date, all the qualities I admired in him and why he was, at the time, such a wonderful boyfriend. I then embellished my gift with an array of red and gold love hearts and photographs of happy times together. Needless to say he kept me hanging around.


7. If money were no object, where would you like to go on holiday.

Unquestionably the Maldives. It was the destination of my honeymoon. I would love nothing more than to spend three weeks, no, lets make that four, on the idyllic, sun soaked canvas of a Maldivian Island.


8. What's your most treasured possession.

Any photograph of my late grandma. There is one that really stands out though. Its a polaroid of my grandma and grandad on their ruby wedding anniversary. They are stood shoulder to shoulder, heads angled towards each other. Their hands are joined around a knife as they're about to cut the cake. They look so fulfilled and at ease in their marriage. But the most special aspect of this portrait is the gentle love emanating from their matching expressions as they smile at their children and grandchildren. How satisfying to look upon the legacy they created.


9. When was the last time you wrote a letter by hand.

Sad but true this is challenging to pinpoint. But you are in luck as the curtain is rising on the platform of my consciousness. Drum roll please. I can clearly recall that the last letter I penned by my fair hand was during University. The year was 1990. That was twenty two bl**dy years ago!


10. Which 3 famous people (alive or dead) would you like to 'Come dine with you'.

I'm going to cheat and invite five to my feast. From Hollywood Royalty it would have to be Kevin Spacey and Johnny Depp because they don't fit the mould. From psychology luminaries it has to
be existential psychotherapist Irvin Yalom. Additionally I want extend my fine hospitality to JK Rowling and Margaret Atwood for guidance on writing fiction.


11. If you could rub Aladdin's lamp and make one wish ... what would you wish for.

A British Summer where the rain clouds part and let some mood enhancing rays in. Is that too much to ask?


I did it! I made it to the end ...... now for a well earned cup of tea and homemade banana muffin.


12 comments:

  1. Oh Hurrah! Splendid Effort.*Have another muffin* I love your answers. Feel like I've got to know lots more about you too.

    I've only ever had apple and strawberry crumble, but I can quite believe your strawberry crumble is something special. I'd have JK Rowling at my dinner table too btw.

    Think I may treat myself some of that bobbi brown eye cream too. Recommendations are always best.

    Watched that talking heads video and thought..gosh, those were the days of budget production! My party song is probably Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.

    Thanks for taking up the baton - and doing it so well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got there in the end! It only took five months. I can really recommend that eye cream - it really does the job. You only need to dab on a little bit. I remember Sledgehammer.

      Delete
  2. That would be some dinner party. Johnny Depp and strawberry crumble. Seriously the strawberry crumble sounds amazing. I am on a bit of a sweet cooking tip at the moment... so I might give it a go.

    Great Q&A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great combination eh? Yes, do give it a go and tell me what you think!

      Delete
  3. Interesting, strawberry crumble, never had it, home-made banana muffins very yum. Bobbi Brown eye cream sounds good, I do like a recommendation, may try it too, Vaseline, no, no & thrice no. I make balms and you can knock up a really good, natural balm for all uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you must try it! I gaurantee your tastebuds pleasure. You make your own balms ... very interesting. Can we have a blog on that please?

      Delete
  4. I love your 'most treasured posession' answer. We just had a do for my parents 40th Anniversary this weekend. I have a photo just like that one of your grandparents you mentioned on my camera, I hope my children see in that what you see in your grandparents one.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you had a lovely party. I still remember my grandparent's celebration quite well.

      Delete
  5. Strawberry crumble! Yum! I put oats in my crumble topping too, it makes all the difference. I often wonder "well, how did I get here?" too! Polly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it certainly does ... tastier and crunchier. Yum!

      Delete
  6. I've been tagged in this meme but haven't got round to it yet. It exhausts me just thinking about it. Any chance you'd consider posting your strawberry crumble recipe? I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It exhausted me aswell! Yes, I will post the recipe - I must share the strawberry love!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...