Thursday 9 May 2013

Here

"GOOD MORNING. MY NAME IS DARREN. I'M YOUR LOCAL POSTMAN."

Wow - I think - they didn't make them like that in W3.

The best you got was a grunt or a half glance.

But I like Darren's friendly introduction. Sunshine on my doorstep.

It's been fourteen days since we arrived laden with card board boxes, objets d'art swathed in bubble wrap, an intrepid Little A holding bunny in her hand, and even though I've suffered a bed confining cold, that there is still so much to sort through and unpack, I feel content.

The local welcomes, the warmth, has been quite disarming at times - 'Is this her first term?', 'when did you move in?', 'you're going to like living here, lots and lots of families'.....

I feel like a big kid, itching to explore, eager to find the short cuts, the quickest route to the Metropolitan Line station - 'Croxley Green' its sign shouts proudly, in bold, white letters.  


And so far I have uncovered three long, hedge lined passage ways that open onto a new crescent or behind Little A's pre-school. In London, I would've thought twice about walking down a deserted, enclosed path such as this, the barricading foliage not quite so inviting and green, crisp packets and over-chewed gum moulded on the tarmac. But it feels safer here. Much safer. And quiet. During the day, I spy the odd mother wheeling a buggy or a pensioner in walking boots. At night, the pavements feel bereft of footprints, and on the stroke of midnight all the street lamps switch off. Just like that. And it makes me think of a benevolent granny - the corners of her mouth up-turned, kindly - dressed in frilly night cap, and billowing gown, as she blows out the flame atop a tall, waxy candle in one strong puff.

If you were with me, we would saunter up the New Road, the road that houses all the must-have local amenities - the doctors, the library, the supermarket..... the undertakers. I would show you my favourite sign post, next to the library, one of those old signs that I love, that points you in every direction, that makes you dizzy from choice. Do you need the loo? Look it's sign posted right here....


Then I would take you to my favourite haunt - a tea and cake salon named Coco. Do you have your lap top with you? Great, because this is the perfect writing spot. I've officially christened Wednesday's 'Coco Day'. I'll inhabit my little table by the window and type away on my keypad with a hot chocolate or detox tea and large slab of cake, rounded off with a bowl of homemade soup and chunk of ciabatta at midday. It's the perfect place to loose myself in a tangle of thoughts and write lists and watch people go about their day.  


I know I have moved somewhere welcoming, where I already feel a part of the furniture, the sedate momentum of life. This is the kind of place where people move, stay rooted - our immediate neighbours have lived here over twenty five years. I hope one day Little A will look back on the place she grew up in with fond memories, remembering it as home. And we are still so close to London, only a forty minute dash from friends and museums and galleries and grand shopping plazas.

The other evening, I lay on my bed, the window open, a slight breeze brushing against my left cheek, and I realised I couldn't hear the hum of the 207 or the 607 on The Uxbridge Road, or the screech of sirens rushing towards another emergency, another arrest. Instead, my ears were treated to the undulating chorus of birdsong, so perfectly clear and uninterrupted - apart from the odd passing plane - by the drone of engines and drunken voices.

Then I smiled, picked up my book and read.


This is a very belated entry in the wonderful Tuesday linky, 'Where I live', by Michelle who blogs as The American Resident.

The American Resident


Amazingly, unbelievably, I have made the shortlist of the Britmums BIBS Awards under the category, Lifestyle. I am so ruddy grateful to everyone who voted for Older Mum in a Muddle. Now if you would like to see me in the Lifestyle final six, then please, please, please vote for me one final time. The champagne is on me if I make it this far...... (nominations close on 12th May)

50 comments:

  1. I love this! Im so jealous of your Wednesdays or should I say "coco" days! Sounds like an amazing place and so glad you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I always look forwards to Wednesdays at Coco - it's nice to have a break from the house :o).

      Delete
  2. It seems that you are getting into a new groove and settling in well which is jolly good to hear. Lovely to wander off investigating your local area, I must say yours sounds a reassuringly friendly one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am thank you Annie. They always say change is as good as a holiday! I love exploring, and it is very friendly. X.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading this Sarah. It's so nice to hear how happy & settled you all are. I wish you a lifetime of happy memory making in your new home x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nichola - feeling very content indeed. X.

      Delete
  4. How lovely - it's like moving to the country. And I love that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and it is - we are very near the green belt here! :o).

      Delete
  5. Sounds wonderful, when can I move in ? ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Do you want to come around for a cuppa? X.

      Delete
  6. This sounds lovely. I enjoyed your little walk and love that you have coco Wednesdays. Must feel good to have slotted in so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is thank you, Coco Wednesdays is something I really have to look forward to now, and you are right, it has slotted in very well!

      Delete
  7. Loved hearing about your new location. Coco Wednesdays sound fab. I'd love to be able to have the luxury of one of those! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco Wednesdays is fab - I feel very, very fortunate. Hopefully, one day when EB is bigger and at nursery, you will! X.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you've been poorly, but you sound wonderfully content now - like you're at home with yourself too. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a rubbish head cold, and I am feeling very content - the outer and the inner - and it feels good :o).

      Delete
  9. What a find! I love the way that to opened the post too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you've moved to a lovely new place. We're used to village life, so I think I'd not do well in a busier area now, although we are so close to town that it makes not much difference really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have thank you very much! And we are bang in between two busier two towns which is very handy for shopping!

      Delete
  11. This is beautiful - would love to join you at Coco for some tea, cake and a writing session... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh please do come and join me, I love writing along side other writers :o).

      Delete
  12. This sounds just wonderful - a little haven of peace for you all. Many years of happiness ahead I feel!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - it is. It's nice to have a little spot you can call your own. X.

      Delete
  13. Ooo, I want to come visit you and sit in the cafe too. I won't write but I'd be happy with a magazine and a piece of cake. You sound so, so happy. Really pleased that you've found a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do! I'll put away the laptop and we can read magazines and gossip over a slice of cake and tea! And I am happy! :o)

      Delete
  14. Oh, it sounds absolutely lovely. I'm so happy for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much lovely - I'm really liking it! X.

      Delete
  15. so lovely to read how well it's going - all sounds wonderful, and love the idea of Coco Day, that made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - things are going very well so far. Really have something to look forward to on Wednesdays now :o).

      Delete
  16. Ahhh I love your description of evenings in your new town. I spent years working in london and every weekend when I came home it would seem so quiet for this very reason. It's as if the whole town went to sleep by 11pm! Sounds like you're settling in really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's really quite a culture shock living in suburbia, but I'm loving it with all it's quirks! :o).

      Delete
  17. Oh that does it - I'm coming to visit x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come! Come! For a cuppa and a slice of cake X.

      Delete
  18. It all sounds lovely and I am really quite envious. So many new opportunities to explore and still on the tube network - sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Polly - it's been quite a slog getting here though :o). I feel very lucky we have moved somewhere where we are still connected to London. :o).

      Delete
  19. Always good to have a nice postman. Glad you like your new home x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's surprisingly friendly. It's lovely thank you. X.

      Delete
  20. Love the postman, and love Coco even more... Perfect writing place! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco is fab, I love writing there. Makes a change to have a friendly postie! X.

      Delete
  21. It's such a great feeling when you first move out of London isn't it. I still view London as home, although I haven't lived there for 20 years, but I love living in a peaceful little town, out in the middle of nowhere. So pleased that you are loving your new home x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! And I am really enjoying where I'm living now - very peaceful and quiet. Thank you very much X.

      Delete
  22. Lovely post, I love to visit London :)

    thanks for sharing with us at welcome to the weekend hop :)

    I'm lucky if we get a forsed smile out of our postman lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! A friendly postie makes all the difference :o).

      Delete
  23. Good to hear you are settling in so well and already found a Weds hangout :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear! It's all good so far :o).

      Delete
  24. It sounds divine and I love the idea of coco Wednesday! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful post - you make it sound like the best place in the world to live! Really happy you're there and settled (although hope you feel better soon) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much lovely. It is a great place to live - well certainly enjoying the honey moon so far! X.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...