Monday 1 October 2012

100 Word Challenge - Ring. Ring. Ring.

Charlotte's tears softened, finding restraint against my shoulder.

She withdrew, the resignation brushed intently upon her expression.

"I could really do with that coffee Chrissy."

"Sure."

I felt relieved, hungry for equilibrium, and hungry for more cereal.

Charlotte steadied, redeeming her composure with every sip of caffeine.

RING. RING. RING.

Charlotte's mobile hollered. Suddenly it was in my hand.

"Anonymous - Want it Char?"

She nodded.

"Hello? .... Oh .... I was gonna call you .... Okay, I guess .... How are you? .... I'm so sorry .... Yeah .... On Saturday .... Really? .... Why? .... Okay, speak tomorrow."

"Chrissy, that was Mark, David's brother. Funeral's in two days. Said I should check my account?"


I'm linking up with JB47's 100 Word Challenge. This week's prompt was ... suddenly it was in my hand ...


This is part of a wider story. You can read the other instalments in the series here.



13 comments:

  1. If she got some of the money let her go and spend it rather than feel guilty. I know she's going to feel guilty though. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact you are keeping up with this :o). Your comment made my day! I know, I know .... she's probably going to feel awful *sighs*.

      Delete
  2. How much will she get? I hope it's a stonking great fortune! Why has he given it to her? Was she complicit in another one of his previous misdemeanors? Or did he just love her. Lots. The plot thickens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided on either yet! The money or the motive! This could all go very pear shaped. Especially with sharp readers like yourself! (could you offer a constructive critique on the plot of 'novel'?).

      Delete
    2. Gosh..have you written one? If you wanted me to but to be honest, not sure I would actually be that much help though I can't write a plot for my own as I can never think of an intriguing enough web of ideas!

      Delete
    3. No - I haven't started writing it yet - I am still thrashing out the plot and subplots - been working on and off on it since March this year. But I need some objective questions thrown at it and some honest feedback. A writers group would be great for this but I don't belong to one, so what better than my blogging buddies? I might have to do a post on this (asking for any help) over the next few weeks...

      Delete
  3. Nice. I read one about a lotto ticket, wrote my prompt about finding a huge chunk of silver, and now this one about money in an account. Intersting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... there's something in the air!

      Delete
  4. I'm fascinated by how organised you are, thrashing out plots and sub plots. Maybe that's why mine is on the back burner - insufficient preparation. Nice one this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, I have made a couple of notes/ ideas in my Filofax, but other than that, I'm seeing where the wind carries me!:o).

      Delete
  5. What a great piece. How much will she get? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking a healthy sum - certainly amount worth the best end of the high street! X.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...