Thursday 4 October 2012

Want(on)

It's not often I focus the attention of 'need' and 'want' in my direction. I'm prized an hour's self indulgence when Little A takes her afternoon nap, which, of late, is regretfully becoming fewer and far between. 'Need' and 'want' are two bullying words that monopolise Little A's vocabulary, morning, afternoon, and evening, her memory lapsing, failing to locate that magic of all magic words - please.

So thank you, and thank you once again to the smashing, and very on trend - this girl rocks a dress - Anya at Older Single Mum, for bestowing upon me sparkly sprinkled lashings of desire dust, so that I may take a moment or two to reflect upon WHAT I WANT for a change. Yes, a moment to cocoon myself in all things me, me and me.

But what do I want? That's the million dollar question. When I thought about this post, my head drew an oceanic sized blank. I couldn't even count on one hand the things I wanted, only making it to my middle finger. Oh dear. So on this occasion, I'm going to take a leaf out of Mummy Plum's book, start small in the vain hope that I might invoke my inner Goddess of wanton self centredness - the Goddess in charge before I fell pregnant - to help pull out of the bag some big, bad, bold wants ....

Younger Dad to stop snoring. His snore guard (yes, the snoring is that loud) broke a few weeks ago, which means the double bed is often occupied by one parent at a time. And it's usually me, on account of how lightly I sleep, who ends up on the living room sofa (there's a spare duvet stuffed behind it). Our king size memory foam mattress has since forgotten my neglected post natal contours. I've taken to stuffing cotton wool in my ears but this fails to adequately muffle the grunts, the rattles, the chainsaw amputating the wooden limb. The other night, after sleepily reallocating to the lounge, the cotton wool needed reinforcement by an added cushion over my head - but even this failed to silence the bass heavy rumbling perforating the useless wall that was supposed to shield me from Younger Dad's nocturnal noise.  

Time. I think I'm going to have to remove all time wielding devices from my home. The sound of the minute hand tick ticking the hours away, is a constant reminder I just don't have enough time. And what I mean by that is enough time for me. I would love just an extra hour in the day to exercise, to read, to connect with friends, to dye my hair, to do nothing, to dream, to bathe in a mountain of bubbles .... This year I was supposed to balance the mental with the physical, the social with the solitary. And I've come up short. Any one know of a good personal organiser?    

Ideas. For the last six months or so I've been imagining a plot for a short story (or lengthy fiction) I have in mind. It's been a very stop start process. Two weeks of intense brain storming, questioning, followed by a month of nothing, a drought of inspiration. I want, want, want original ideas for interesting subplots, ones that really meld with the main plot line. I do have ideas but I worry they are a little obvious. Incidentally, the main narrative hinges on the accidental swapping of two DJ record boxes - that's all I'm saying...    

Central heating. Back in August our combi boiler went 'part time'. After fifteen years of loyal(ish) service, it's memory jolted to a halt - it recalls hot water with youthful vivacity, it just can't remember how the central heating works. Every year we've had to install new parts for some reason or another, but this Autumn, and especially as we are looking to move, we decided enough was enough. So today, we are having a brand new boiler installed. Over the last few weeks, the mornings have been decidedly chilly, so it will be a relief to have the heating back on... Guess I can tick this off my want list now?    

Pyjamas. The nights are getting noticeably cooler. I've already dressed the mattress (the one I rarely sleep on - see snoring) with a thicker tog duvet, and an extra fleece throw. But that's not enough, I want some new pyjamas - a brushed cotton pair(s), that will cushion me from draughts, that will insulate me, along with a (new) dressing gown, from the weekend caterwauling on X Factor. I don't know if this is your experience but I find new pyjamas are a little like a fresh hair cut; after one wash they never quite look or feel the same again.

Bed Socks. There's nothing more coddling, more comforting than a pair of thick, fluffy knee length socks. I just love that feeling of woolly fibred feet rubbing together under the covers. My idea of middle aged heaven is a duvet, pyjamas (see above), socks, a good read, and a warming bowl of custard (and crumble). Anyway, I need new socks. And NOW please. My old pair, which I've worn the last couple of nights, just don't cut it anymore. Waking up to toasty feet is nothing short of divine. Look at these beauties...

Image Courtesy of Google Images

This list of wants is turning into an all out frump-a-thon. Hardly big, bad or bold.

Lets see if I can up the ante!

UGGS. An expensive pair of sheepskins is a fashion staple for my Winter wardrobe. I've worn UGGS (not the same pair) for nearly ten years. When it comes to footwear, I err towards quality.This means a hike in price. But I feel good quality clothing equates to longevity - until my 40th birthday that is - when Younger Dad presented me with a gorgeous pair of chocolate UGGS. One season later, my big toe had managed to bore a hole through the sheep skin. They are still operable. But this breach in security gives me a logical excuse to demand another pair!      

Lotions and potions. I love, love, love to luxuriate my skin in softening serums, thick velvety moisturisers and anti aging magic (I know it doesn't really work but I like it all the same). This Summer I had my skin tested at the Dermologica stand in the Westfield Centre. I tried some samples of their products at home, and just loved how they looked and felt on my skin. The daily skin smoothing cream is gorgeous. So I've been saving my pennies to procure a range of their wares in the coming weeks...

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Another product I ran out of a while ago, and that I need to get my hands on, is the wonderful Bobby Brown Extra Face Oil. It's one of the best night time products I've indulged myself with. Oil is so, so good for the skin. But this oil gives my face that extra glow, a palpable suppleness, a feel good factor after viewing my bedraggled extremities first thing in the morning.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

How did I do? Am I forgiven for the frump-a-thon?

So what do you want?...

Lynsey The Mother Duck
The Pretty Good Life 

22 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a frumpathon, I think it's a perfectly great list of wants. Poor you with the snoring. You have my sympathy. Personally, I think younger Dad should be the one on the sofa. a) He's younger b) he's the one making all the noise!

    Would love to hear more about the ideas for the novel. And, funny you should mention facial oil, I was thinking of getting some. Good to have an endorsement. Thanks for the mention xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as a child snoring has sent me nuts - it's just one of those things I can't stand the sound of. I think I may write a post on some of my ideas ... I could really do with feedback. (Younger Dad was on the sofa the other night!). X.

      Delete
  2. LOL great list! Loving the bed socks and I'm definitely all for the cosy pyjamas....definitely creeping in to that time of year :) I do wish that luxury skin care regimes came at a little more affordable price. I have been tagged in this twice, my list is ever-growing but I still haven't got around to writing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Bed socks rock! Luxury skin care isn't cheap but its one of my guilty pleasures! Looking forward to reading your list!

      Delete
  3. love the list - its good to have you time! bed socks sound awesome! looking forward to reading the novel ideas etc.. :)

    defo agree with time- thats what i want (oh and our boiler broke so hot water would be nice lol)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me time - tell me about it! I can highly recommend bed socks - your feed back on my ideas would be great fully received. A knackered boiler is no good at this time of year. X.

      Delete
  4. Baton received thank you OM! I am loving your list of wants! I need new winter bed socks too. I asked for PJ's from my parents last year with the guidelines of 'traditional - red - warm' - A gorgeous pair from Debenhams with matching slippers was received and worn with gusto - they can be cracked back out now the chillier nights are here. Comfort and warmth is ALL lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm looking forward to yours! That pair of PJ's you received sound lovely! That's what it is all about at the moment - comfort and warmth and a fab new pair of bed socks!

      Delete
  5. Yes to the first three! Any foot casing can successfully masquerade as a bed sock, but I'm so glad you are wearing them too. I prefer to wear in PJs and BAH! to UGGs! Get yourself a snug pair of slippers instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you do about the snoring? Any foot casing - are you sure? Bed socks have that extra special fluffiness :o) UGGS are fab (apart from the price) but I could do with a new pair of slippers.

      Delete
  6. Wow - delighted to take up e baton too. Let melt me whisper two words that are the antidote to bed socks and central heating (to inspire move) underfloor heating ;) 50 shades of bliss! I have taken note for your last two...
    Now let me try to do your meme justice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Looking forward to your list! We have underfloor heating in the bathroom. Yes, can recommend those products - very nice! X.

      Delete
  7. Well you didn't seem to have a problem once you started! What are you like you demanding thing you? The snoring thing is generally dehydration / dairy reactiom. Michelle at mummyratesit blog is doing a #bloggbuddies time management weight loss thing atm so you might enjoy joining in that.Your ideas sound great and the stories will unfold as you write them - the more you 'get out,' the more 'come up.' Have just given three pairs fleecy PJs to charity now there's a new man - things like that have gotta go! you might not need all that palaver now your heating's working. And surely those ugly Uggs have had their day now? Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this so comprehensively. Am looking fwd to the others now. PS I loved this XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take a break and think about stuff! Just told Younger Dad about the dehydration/dairy ... It's quite tricky thinking up ideas - at first I think 'what a great idea' but then I question the plausibility of it, is it realistic etc, and then I wonder if it's that original. Frustrating! Will always need my PJ's and bed socks! X.

      Delete
    2. I have been feeling awful about how this must have come across when I wrote it in such a bad mood. I don't mean to undermine your 'wants' - what I meant was I wish I'd given the PJs to you - coz they've gotta go for me and I can't believe that Uggs are still fashionable! I want you to have what you want - whatever it is, my friend and I'm sorry that this comes across any other way. I want you to be happy, no matter how that comes about and I won't judge whatever it takes. XXX

      Delete
    3. No! No! No! It didn't come across as anything I assure you - I took it at face value. Next time you throw away a pair - I'll 'ave 'em! Don't worry lovely, lovely lady, your comment was absolutely fine. X.

      Delete
  8. Gosh everything and nothing. I have so many wants but I try to be content with what I have ... I could do with a pair of Jimmie choo shoes, just one pair - that's not too much to ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean - I want everything - but any of the above will suffice! Jimmie Choo - no, not at all :o).

      Delete
  9. What a fab post and a great list. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would be nice to have just one of the items on my want list - guess that'll be the bed socks then! X.

      Delete
  10. Ha ha. Frumpathon. Excellent new word for the people at OED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I'm having an all out Frumpathon this Autumn - guess it comes with my age! :o).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...