Thursday 18 October 2012

The Bobby-in-a-mow

Little A's imaginary play mate is 'Bobby-in-a-mow'. The other day I realised Bobby-in-a-mow rhymes with Gruffalo, and well, I just couldn't help myself. So here's my rendition of that wonderful story by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler...



THE BOBBY-IN-A-MOW

Little A climbed the stairs to the kitchen as fast as she could.
Mummy saw Little A and thought she's up to no good.
"Where are you going to, youngest one of the house?
Come back to your bedroom, and pick up Mickey Mouse."
"That's very organised of you, Mummy, but no -
I'm off for elevenses with Bobby-in-a-mow."

"Bobby-in-a-mow? Who's Bobby-in-a-mow?"
"Bobby-in-a-mow! Why, didn't you know?

"He has a frightful perm, and frightful nails,
And frightful fungus on three waggly tails."

"Where are you meeting him?" 
"Here, on the stair,
And his favourite game is pulling mummy's hair."

"Pulling mummy's hair! I'm off" Mummy said.
Bye bye, Little A," and away she sped.

"Silly old Mummy! Doesn't she know,
There's no such thing as Bobby-in-a-mow?"

Little A climbed the stairs to the kitchen as fast as she could.
Daddy saw Little A and thought she's up to no good.
"Where are you going to youngest one of the house?
"Come look what I've found, a slimy grey louse."
That's very inviting of you, Daddy, but no -
I'm off for elevenses with Bobby-in-a-mow."

"Bobby-in-a-mow? Who's Bobby-in-a-mow?"
"Bobby-in-a-mow! Why, didn't you know?

He has a crooked back, and joined-up stumpy toes,
And a massive great bogey dangling off the end of his nose."

"Where are you meeting him?" 
"Up by the fridge,
And his favourite game is scaling Daddy bridge."

"Daddy bridge! I'm off" Daddy said.
Bye bye, Little A," and away he sped.

"Silly old Daddy! Doesn't he know,
There's no such thing as Bobby-

...in-a-mow."

But who is this monster with the frightful nails
And frightful fungus on three waggly tails?
He has a crooked back, and joined-up stumpy toes,
And a massive great bogey dangling off the end of his nose.

"Oh help! Oh no!
It's Bobby-in-a-mow!

"My favourite game! Bobby-in-a-mow said.
"You'll feel ace spinning on my head."

"Ace?" said Little A. "Don't call me ace!

I'm the bossiest creature, now get in place.
Just amble beside me and soon you'll know,
Mummy and Daddy are mere putty and dough."

"Okay," said Bobby-in-a-mow, creasing with glee.
"You start walking, and I'll come and sight see."

They wandered and walked till Bobby-in-a-mow said,
"I hear yawning in the bedroom ahead."

"It's Mummy," said Little A. "Why, Mummy, hello!"
Mummy took one look at Bobby-in-the-mow.
"Goodness me!" she said, "Bye bye, Little A,"
And she picked up her duster and ran away.

"See?" said Little A. "Told you so."
"Outstanding!" said Bobby-in-a-mow.

They wandered some more till Bobby-in-a-mow said,
"I hear water running in the bathroom ahead."

"It's Daddy," said Little A. "Why, Daddy, hello!"
Daddy took one look at Bobby-in-a-mow.
"Heavens above!" he said, "Bye bye, Little A,"  
Hiding behind the door he quivered, "I don't want to play." 

"Well, Bobby-in-a-mow," Little A said. "You see?
Mummy and Daddy fall in line behind me!
But now I'm bored and I need some fun.
My favourite game is - Bobby-in-a-mow ski run!"

"Bobby-in-a-mow ski run!" Bobby-in-a-mow said,
And faster than a cheetah he evaporated instead.

Little A climbed the stairs to the kitchen as fast as she could.
She found the chocolate mousse and it tasted rather good.

And if you liked this, you might also like my versions of Stick Man and We're Going On A Bear Hunt.

News Flash - I entered this piece in a competition hosted by the lovely Mummy Constant to win either a Gruffalo Trunki or Chums set. Anyway, Bobby-in-a-mow scooped the first prize of the Gruffalo Trunki itself which I'm simply over moon about - Trunki's make the perfect toddler travel accessory! Hop over and give Trunki an extra special seasonal 'like' on their Facebook page.

31 comments:

  1. Brilliant, well done! You should print it out in a book for your Little A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Would love to, but Julia Donaldson might have my guts for garters!

      Delete
  2. You're turning into quite a poet! I like poetry it can be really fun to write - I agree with the comment above, I hope you're saving these for Little A for when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, I'm not! Poetry is definitely not my forte - I sat doing the this with word ryhming websites. Will save!

      Delete
  3. Utterly brilliant. You're definintley a writer and here's your niche - well one of them at least! Really enjoyed that. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely! Very glad you think so ... and glad that you did. X

      Delete
  4. Ah, that's lovely! Little A is very lucky to have such a creative mummy, and to have this blog to look back at when she's older x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had fun writing it! I hope this blog is still here when she's older! X.

      Delete
  5. I love this, we're very over familiar with The Gruffalo too. You're very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not that clever really - just had the rhyming online dictionary to hand!

      Delete
  6. love it!!!! absolutely brill x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just brilliant!little A sounds truly in control :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm embarrassed to say I've never read the gruff also but your rendition of it appears very clever. Little a must love it. Stickman however is one of my favorites to read to my daughter. I'll pop over and see yr treatment of it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess you have read 'one' version of it now :o). Thank you for taking a peek at the other one. X.

      Delete
  9. That's absolutely brilliant! Amy enjoyed Gruffalo when she was little and has the DVD.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Little A loves both stories, and we are both big fans of Julia Donaldson. X.

      Delete
  10. Both Ma Puce and I love The Gruffalo, perhaps I will read her this re-worked version as tonight's bedtime story! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of our favourites too! Along with every other Julia Donaldson story! X.

      Delete
  11. I really love this!
    Is Z's favourite book, along with Stick Man and The Snail & the Whale x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Little A loves Stick Man and The Snail and The Whale too! X.

      Delete
  12. Wow that is amazing, I just read to my little boy and he loved it, so creative and definitely a well deserving winner, enjoy your prize! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - so glad your little boy enjoyed it - that made my day! Thank you! I couldn't believe that I'd won!

      Delete
  13. This is fabulous. Prefer it to the original. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear! I had a lot of fun penning it! :o).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...